[Beowulf] scalability of cluster paper

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Feb 18 05:14:39 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Paul Johnson wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone could point me to a paper on the scalability
> issues of NOWs clusters or
> Beowulf clusters using MPI.  Im curious what kind of scalability people
> see for clusters less than 10 nodes.
> Any reference to a paper would be greatly appreciated.  I've been doing
> alot of scholar.googling but
> havent found what Im looking for yet.

There is a whole chapter on Amdahl's Law and scaling in my online
beowulf book (and several online talks and white papers ditto).  Look on

  http://www.phy.duke.edu/brahma

or

  http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb

under the Beowulf link.

Scalability isn't a question of number of nodes per se, it is a question
of the parallel speedup you observe as a FUNCTION of the number of nodes
participating in the problem, the problem "size" (really all other
parameters, not just size), the network characteristics, and the system
CPU/memory/bus characteristics.  The presentation I give is a simplified
one that lets you see the general idea, but the reality is much more
complex for some classes of problem.

HTH,

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu