[Beowulf] Re: Academic sites: who pays for the electricity?

Dean Johnson dtj at uberh4x0r.org
Thu Feb 17 14:18:40 PST 2005

I am going out on a limb here, but I suspect that a majority of the
people on this list lean far more toward the casual administrator types
and not professional cluster admins. Often, I suspect, the issues of
power and cooling only arise in times of scarcity and not out of some
anal-retentive need to quantify resources. They are very likely people
doing science (or other worthy endeavour) and simply use clusters as
tools. Should one quantify the ROI on each pencil and pen in ones
office? I realize that the first pen/pencil in your office is an
important writing device, but why do you have a second and third, given
that the useful life of a pen/pencil, under normal load, is quite
long? ;-)

I'll be right back as soon as I justify the dozen or so pens I have
under the seat of my car. Hold it! I don't use the company's crappy pens
and provide my own. I guess beans don't interest me.

	-Dean