[Beowulf] running non-mpi programs on beowulf cluster

billk01 billk01 at metrumrg.com
Wed Feb 16 04:45:48 PST 2005

I have a program that is called from a perl batch script.  The program
is non-MPI aware so I have been  using mpprun to execute the perl
program.  The perl program can start from 1 - x processes depending upon
the arguments to the batch file.  I currently call the batch file as:

mpprun -no-local perl batch.p 1 2 3 &

1 2 3 cause the perl program to start proceses 1 2 and 3 in three
different directories.  (The different directories are necessary because
of the nature of the program being run.)  The results is three processes
all running on one node. (Each node has two processors and there are 3
nodes for now for a total of 6 processors.)  I have tried supplying the
-np x  option but this simply starts starts the same three processes
over an another node once the initial three processes are complete. The
same thing occurs if I use the -map x:x:x option.  I have also tried
batching the commant via the "batch now" interactive command line
interface and the results is the same.
Is there anyway to indicate to the cluster to load balance these
processes across the nodes?  Or do I need to start each process with a
seperate mpprun command?  Also, it appears that the NO_LOCAL=1 option
does not work with the "Batch" command.  Does that seem correct?
The cluster consists of a dual processor (2 Xeon's) master node with
three compute nodes each with 2 Xeon processors.  Eventually we will
have a number of additional nodes up but I am testing for now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bill