[Beowulf] Poor man's SANS

Guy Coates gmpc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Feb 15 08:56:10 PST 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, Rob Ross wrote:

> Hello Guy,
>
> I wasn't aware that IBM would give that out for use on existing systems.
> Does anyone know the constraints under which they will provide such a
> copy?

As an academic, you sign up for it under the IBM "scholars program".  It
comes at no cost but unsupported (well, best-efforts support via the GPFS
mailing list).

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/info/university/members/faq.html

If you want support or want a commercial license, then you have to pay
money.

The "official" GPFS hardware support matrix is pretty tight, but if you
don't care about support, you should find that it will run on pretty much
any sort of disk hardware.

Guy

--
Dr. Guy Coates,  Informatics System Group
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SA, UK