[Beowulf] memory allocation on x86_64 returning huge addresses

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 09:01:38 PST 2005

I am trying to dynamically allocate memory for a Fortran-77 code that
is supposed to run in I4 R4 mode on an x86_64 running SuSE-9.2 with a
kernel.org 2.6.9 kernel. The machine has 8GB memory and memory has to
be allocated in one large chunk.

The problem is that malloc returns an address that is way beyond
8billion which is not what I had expected.

Does anybody why Linux gives me an address that is outside the physical
memory range?

Does anybody whether there are any kernel parameter that affect this
behavior?

Any pointers to some good reading about the Linux VM would also be
appreciated.

Regards
Roland