[Beowulf] Re: What vendors would you be sure to check out?

Bill Rankin wrankin at ee.duke.edu
Sat Dec 31 08:14:25 PST 2005

On Dec 30, 2005, at 4:10 PM, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> First of all, thanks much to all who responded!

Thanks for the list, Dan.  I appreciate your efforts.

One comment:
> - A recommendation against Dell, due to having only recently started
>   doing AMD, and due to frequently insisting on selling a microsoft
>   license with each box.  Also, they will sometimes send parts other
>   than what you requested, unless you specifically say you want no
>   substitutions.

This is very odd.  I have purchased about 500 systems from Dell over
the last 2-1/2 years.  This has been a collection of Poweredge 1750s,
2650, SC1425's and a lot of 5224/5324 GigE switches and racks.

1) I have never had a problem getting the MS license dropped from the
order.  In fact, on their web-based server configuration page they
specifically have a "No installed OS" selection available.

2) I have always received the systems that I have ordered w/o
substitution.  Any errors in the orders were handled quickly by the
Dell sales people.

As for the "AMD and Dell" part, did I miss something here?  While I
suspect that Dell has been investigating AMD-based servers and
probably has developed some prototypes in the back lab (as Michael
Dell has hinted in past press releases), I was not aware of any
offerings from Dell that use AMD processors.  Does someone have a URL
to a press release?

-bill