[Beowulf] kernel tunning for HPC

Richard Miguel San Martín rmiguel at senamhi.gob.pe
Thu Dec 22 13:07:21 PST 2005

Hi Joe

Well, I have a numerical model for climate research, is a model with memory
intensive use and i think that my problem is in the kernel parameters ..size
memory perhaps, but im not sure how must change it. I have a gigabit ethernet
network and the performance is fine.
The design is a master node with a 6 slaves nodes, i dont have file systems
on nfs because i have a external storage box fiber channel.

Thanks,

R. Miguel

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:11:31 -0500, Joe Landman wrote
> Hi Richard:
>
>    What type of workloads are running on the cluster, and more
> importantly, why do are you tuning it?  That is, what specific issue
> have you run into (poor performance or similar issues) that make you
> wish to tune?
>
>    Additionally, what is the design of your system?  Single head
> node acting as a file server ?  Some other design?  What is your
> network architecture?  What is the type and nature of the loads and
> runs placed on the system?
>
>    These would need to be answered before any reasonable tuning
> effort were undertaken.
>
> Joe
>
> Richard Miguel San Martín wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a Red hat EL v3 system that i use as head node of a cluster, I
want to
> > do tunning of kernel for HPC. The question is how and what values i must
> > change for to do it.
> >
> > I was trying of change sysctl values but im not sure if that is ok. Where
> > can obtain information about that?.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> > Richard Miguel
>
> --