[Beowulf] Estimating cluster power consumption

Douglas Eadline deadline at clustermonkey.net
Thu Dec 15 08:30:10 PST 2005

Here is a data point:

The Value Cluster (http://www.clustermonkey.net//content/view/41/33/) is
eight Sempron 2500 processors. The head node has 512 MByte of RAM, 64MB
AGP Video card, a DVD/CD Reader/Burner, 160 GBytes of RAID 1 storage, two
FastE links, and one GigE link. The seven worker nodes have 256 MBytes of
RAM, a FastE link, and a GigE link and no hard drive.

Using a Kill-A-Watt I measured between 650-675 Watts running under load.

A Kill-A-Watt device is a great investment when doing something like this
so you don't end up building a Kill-A-Self cluster.

And, BTW, I use Wake-on-Lan to power up the worker nodes when I need to
use the cluster. That way I don't Kill-My-Wallet with eight nodes running
24x7.

--
Doug

Doug