[Beowulf] Estimating cluster power consumption

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Dec 15 08:09:53 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 17:28 -0800, r reynoldson wrote:
> Hi all. I'm trying to track down some threads from
> this group that date back to the fall of 2003 (Sept -
> Nov). These don't seem to be in the Beowulf mailing
> list

I go with the Kill-A-Watt recommendations.
Also I would spare a quick thought about how the systems are stacked
up, to make sure there is some space for cooling air.

I recently watched one of these "Consumer Watchdog" type
programs in the UK, where trading standards inspectors raided a suburban
house where pirate DVDs and CDs were being produced. Someone was
sleeping in a bedroom, which had a line of big tower cases each filled
with  DVD drives ranked along the wall. The heat output and noise must
have been unbearable. And I'd guess the typical video pirate doesn't
care about the wiring.