[Beowulf] Re: Beowulf Digest, Vol 18, Issue 19

stuffnstuff stuffnstuff7 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 13:37:12 PDT 2005

Questions that I still have: Will my Netgear router replace the need for a
10/100/1000base? If not, in what ballpark price range would one of those
come in? If I was to install Linux on my main computer, would that mean that
I could no longer use games or Microsoft Office or Acid or Photo editing
programs that I have aquired? I am sure that they make special ones for
Linux, but that doesn't mean I want to throw away what I have. Are NIC cards
like networking cards? I am assuming wired. Where would I buy them? The
office that I work in is relatively small (about 14 people) and my school
uses only Macs; where else could I aquire old junkies? Do you have an
example of a high technology center that hasn't had time to throw away
computers in its backroom? If I buy the power strip and base station and
connect N computers to it as well as install Linux on every single node,
then what? What am I missing? What do I still need to set up? I have heard
discussions about wanting or not wanting the most powerful computer to be
the server, but how do I decide which one to use as the master? When I
render my images trying to take full advantage of my stats, I generally end
up using 50% of the CPU while consuming 480Mb of Ram leaving about 100Mb
free; what is my limiting factor (the slowest member of the relay race)? Can
a new processor be purchased alone and placed into a partially-aged
computer? My computer recommends buying PC2700 when PC3200 is the same
price. Would PC3200 not function in my computer? I assume that if the
computers are old enough that the cluster would still be hopelessly slower
than my main computer anyways; what should be the minimum stats to even
consider building a cluster?