[Beowulf] Re: vectors vs. loops

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 27 09:51:56 PDT 2005

Hello Robert,

The new released supercomputer in Netherlands, which was opened yesterday
and it is at work now is 27.5 tflop and has cost 8 million euro.

that's roughly 27.5 gflop / 8k euro = far over 3 gflop per 1000 euro.

So your estimate is not far off.

Please note this supercomputer doesn't fall under the normal organisations
but falls under the lofar.nl project and RUG (university Groningen) has to
do with it.

In general your story is true that majority of todays software isn't
vectorizable. However the counter side is that the majority of system TIME
goes to just a few libraries. Usually fortran libraries that do matrix
calculations.

A co processor for intel processors is wishful thinking for now, they have
instead made the processors very cheap to produce and have created pathetic
small L1 caches in their processors with as a result that whole ranges of
applications are pathetic slow at their cheap processors.

Open market competition is what is going to force these manufacturers to
rethink their strategy (hopefully).

Until now intel has run into the opposite direction of what we would like,
making only real expensive supercomputer processors instead of cheap ones :)

Even more interesting than CELL would be a cell type processor that uses
the same ideas but combines it with help processors that run integer
applications real fast.

Of course intel is not going to deliver that as their small L1 caches of P4
suck too much for serious applications that are branch dependant (such as
databases). Also pentium-m's L1 cache, though very good, is too tiny for
future 64 bits usage.

So my personal hope is more directed onto an X-core AMD processor, or some
other manufacturer that produces a great cpu.

I'm a bit worried about RAMBUS being involved into cell i have to admit.
When they were involved in intels P4 it sucked real bad, both in
performance for my applications as well as price; only when Northwood with
DDR ram came, P4 recovered quite some.

Affordable RAM is more interesting than reading online paper claims about
major bandwidth that we cannot afford.

Yet the main point is that a CELL processor serves not only a certain market.

I estimate for my own branchy integer application it to be same speed like
an 8 processor Xeon MP 2.8Ghz.

So even there it can kick some butt, if it has an affordable price, which a
8 processor Xeon MP never will have.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/scandal/public/papers/cvl.html