[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Tue Apr 5 10:36:27 PDT 2005

Robert G. Brown wrote:
> [...]
> Ah, but the PROPER and ORIGINAL meaning of axiom is "unprovable
> assumption" upon which a system of logic and discourse is built.  The
> final half-definition is the only one that is actually correct.

> In fact, I've got a whole essay entitled "Axioms" on my personal
> website.  Seriously.

Hello, Robert.

OK, I bow to your greater wisdom: I have now learned that axioms are:

"...unprovable assumptions whose truth and falsehood cannot be assessed"
[http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/Philosophy/axioms.php]

What struck me was that both Mark and Joe used the word "axiom"
appropriately according to at least one dictionary:

	http://www.thefreedictionary.com/axiom

I don't think their discussion was pointless: Actually, I found it
interesting and relevant to my own situation running openMosix on a
64-node RH-9 based Beowulf cluster. I had a difficult time trying to
upgrade our cluster from RH-8.0 to FC-2 because the Adaptec Ultra160
drivers in FC-2 were broken, so I went to RH-9 instead.

I'm now deciding where to go after RH-9 and I'm interested in other
people's experiences. I've already moved one cluster server to Debian
Sarge/testing, but I'm also evaluating the recent Progeny Debian
Developer Edition RC2 which includes a Debian port of Red Hat's
Anaconda. Have you any experience using Progeny Debian?

I read that Progeny originally set out to build Debian SSI cluster
software, but had problems and abandoned the project. Is that true?

Best wishes,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687