[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Apr 5 03:08:08 PDT 2005

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Tony Travis wrote:

> >>Not really.  We disagree on basic definitions.  Axioms are accepted
> >>"truths".
> >

> > no.  axioms are the assumptions that underly a discussion.
> > disagreeing on axioms leads only to the kind of noise we've been engaging in.
> > I apologize for not quitting sooner.
>
> Hello, Mark.
>
> Although you may feel that this is pointless, I've found it quite useful
> to read your exchanges with Joe. In fact, I think that you are *both*
> right about what an 'axiom' is. The word has at least three meanings:
>
> a. maxim: A self-evident or universally recognized truth.
> b. law: An established rule or principle.
> c. postulate: A self-evident principle or one that is accepted as true
>     without proof as the basis for argument.
>
> Perhaps, in a similar way, you might agree that other words can have
> more than one meaning according to the context in which they are used?

Ah, but the PROPER and ORIGINAL meaning of axiom is "unprovable
assumption" upon which a system of logic and discourse is built.  The
final half-definition is the only one that is actually correct.

In fact, I've got a whole essay entitled "Axioms" on my personal
website.  Seriously.

   rgb

> Best wishes,
>
> 	Tony.

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu