[Beowulf] OS for 64 bit AMD

Andrew Shewmaker agshew at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 08:21:36 PST 2005

I've been running FC2 on my opteron workstation for a while
now, but I am about ready to move on to something newer.
It has been stable, but one pet peeve I have with RH's
multiarch support is that it ends up clobbering their rpm
database.  It hasn't seemed to have hurt me yet, but it isn't
clean.

If you run 'rpm -Va' on an "everything" install, then it will report
that several 32-bit packages have binaries with wrong md5sums.
I find the following script more useful than a rpm verify to show
the conflicts in /usr/bin:

#!/bin/bash

for i in `ls -1 /usr/bin`; do
  if [ `rpm -qf --qf "%{arch}" /usr/bin/$i` == "i386x86_64" ]; then
    echo -n "/usr/bin/$i: ";
    rpm -qf --qf "%{name}-%{version}.%{arch} " /usr/bin/$i;
    echo;
  fi
done

SuSE has a couple conflicts, but they look like oversights and
not part of their general packaging methodology.  I haven't
checked any other rpm-based distro.

Andrew

--
Andrew Shewmaker