[Beowulf] Whiskers and computer problems.

Glen Gardner Glen.Gardner at verizon.net
Sat Sep 25 18:29:45 PDT 2004

They don't like to use tin inside semiconductors.

At the board level tin can cause problems because solder contains a lot
of tin.
Also, many connectors have tin plated contacts. Heat, electrical charge,
pressure from spring loaded
contacts, and time, exacerbate the situation.

Silver will act similarly.  Also, mating tin plated connectors with gold
plated contacts can react with atmospheric moisture
and gases to cause a buildup of insulating materials that make a
connector contact "go open" after a while.  This is why you
 should not mate tin plated memory boards into sockets with gold plated
contacts.  You need to mate gold to gold,
and tin to tin. In fact, mating dissimilar metals in an environment
where heat, contact pressure, electrical charge are
factors is a bad idea, period.

In general tin has a lot of nasty attributes.

Glen

--
Glen E. Gardner, Jr.
AA8C