[Beowulf] x86-64 NUMA vs SMP kernel: appl. performance?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Sep 24 14:47:40 PDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 03:04:05PM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>
> > What compilers have you tried, and what improvements do they
> > produce?
>
> Robert,
>
> As you might recall, I do work for a compiler company, so obviously that
> should be kept in mind. The 3 apps mentioned by the original poster

Impressive results nonetheless (and besides, I trust your honesty).
Since your customers are reporting them, I would assume that they are
just swapping the compilers in and out and not necessarily doing lots of
compiler specific tuning.

Are these fortran or C results (or do you know)?  And how much do the
compilers cost (and how do the costs scale over a cluster)?

   rgb