[Beowulf] x86-64 NUMA vs SMP kernel: appl. performance?

Mikhail Kuzminsky kus at free.net
Fri Sep 24 08:34:33 PDT 2004

     Dear colleagues,

I have possible choice between using of SMP or NUMA-enabled x86_64
kernels (2.4.21 from SuSE Linux 9.0 distributive). We use 2-way
Opteron-based nodes w/2 GBytes RAM per node (symmetrical DIMMs
occupation).
Our applications are parallelized :-), so we have 2 "computing
threads"
per each 2-way SMP node.

Have somebody data about relative performance of applications working
under NUMA vs SMP kernels ? Quantum chemical packages like
Gaussian/Gamess-US/NWchem are the most interesting (their performance
is "memory-bounded"), but at least direct STREAM results are
interesting
also.

Mikhail Kuzminsky
Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry