[Beowulf] depmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented

Bjorn Tore Sund bjornts at mi.uib.no
Wed Sep 22 01:59:32 PDT 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 beowulf-request at beowulf.org wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:50:57 -0500 (CDT)
> From: "Amitoj G. Singh" <amitoj at cs.uh.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Beowulf] depmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
> To: "T.Sariyski" <tsariysk at comcast.net>
> Cc: Beowulf at beowulf.org
>

> I had the same problem when i moved from kernel 2.4 to 2.6 on linux. The
> problem went away when i installed the latest "module init tools" and
> "modutils". I guess the same should work for SuSe ? Worth a try.
>
> - Amitoj.
>
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004, T.Sariyski wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I try to install clustermatic4 on a opteron cluster running SuSe Server9
> > for AMD64 (Tian B2882 Transport GX28). While installing rpms I get
> > errors for bproc-modules and v9fs-mounter-smp:
> >
> > #> depmod: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
> >
> > mkinitrd fails to determine dependencies  for sata_sil, reiserfs and
> > raid1 (below is the full output from mkinitrd).
> > Does  anybody else had  this problem?

I've seen that problem, yes.  There are issues with the module tools
in SuSE 9.1, but that's mainly linked to PCMCIA.  This particular
problem can be resolved in the following way:

  1. Make sure you have the kernel-source package installed and that
     both that and the running kernel is at the latest version from
     SuSE.  Use YOU or fou4s or whatever.
  2. Execute the following set of commands:

        cd /usr/src/linux
        make cloneconfig
        make prepare
        make prepare-all

Evidently there are configuration files which aren't in the kernel
rpms but which get installed with these commands.

Bjørn
--
Bjørn Tore Sund           Phone:  (+47) 555-84894    Stupidity is like a
System administrator      Fax:    (+47) 555-89672    fractal; universal and