[Beowulf] strange PXE reboot behavior

Glen Gardner Glen.Gardner at verizon.net
Thu Sep 16 05:19:08 PDT 2004

You could have a power supply dropping out when the nic comes to life
and wants more power.
(just an outside guess). Some gigabit nics want a lot of power, and
motherboard power use at startup can peak to
close to maximunm for the node. If the power supplies are close to their
nominal limits, you might have some drop
out when the demand increases substantially by means of the nic turning
on and chatting with the network, causing a
spurious reset/reboot when the peak power use suddenly increases by
anywhere from 20 watts to as much as 90 watts..

Glen