[Beowulf] strange PXE reboot behavior

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Sep 16 04:52:46 PDT 2004

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Geoff Galitz wrote:

> Hello folks,
>

> We have a strange problem.  We have 20 nodes with SE7501CW2
> motherboards, and about 5 of them seem to fail their POST and reboot
> only when the gigabit NIC is plugged into a gigabit switch.  If we
> unplug it, the node functions normally.  If we plug it in after the
> system
> comes up, it crashes immediately.
>
> My only thought at this point is auto-negotiation, but I cannot seem to
> turn off auto-negotiation on these motherboard/NIC combos.  Ethtool
> fails
> to change the parameters on the cards.
>
> Any other ideas?

It sounds like a BIOS problem, either on the mobo or the NIC.  I'd a)
contact the manufacturer(s) or at least look at their website to see if
there is a FAQ or if this is a known problem with a known fix.  I'd also
suggest (if this doesn't yield useful fruit) reflashing to the latest
BIOS if the systems aren't current, and maybe falling back a revision if
they are.

   rgb