[Beowulf] building a new cluster

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Sep 1 10:26:42 PDT 2004

> I'd look at the 2848, 21xx is unmanged. They don't (currently) support
> jumbo frames until the new firmware ships. the 41xx chassis will never
> support jumbo's and it's really any aging platform at this point, the
> switch fabric on the 28xx has more than 3x the capacity of the fabric in
> the 41xxx chassis.

I wonder why you need a managed switch?

Our cluster has one managed switch and one un-managed.  It isn't big
but from what I read before, management can slow down throughput.  As
I was limited to one manufacturer (political) I chose the switch with
the fastest throughput.  No managed switch was rated as fast as the
unmanaged switch.

Our local supplier has a 3 year warranty as well.  Rackmount cases and
such.  We ended up with an extra machine due to savings from not
dealing with a major supplier.
--
Robin Laing