[Beowulf] building a new cluster

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Sep 1 07:47:14 PDT 2004

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, SC Huang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am about to order a new cluster using a $100K grant for running our in-house MPI codes. I am trying to have at least 36-40 (or more, if possible) nodes. The individual node configuration is:
>
> dual Xeon 2.8 GHz
> 512K L2 cache, 1MB L3 cache, 533 FSB
> 2GB DDR RAM
> gigabit NIC
> 80 GB IDE hard disk
>
> The network will be based on a gigabit switch. Most vendors I talked to
> use HP Procurve 2148 or 4148.

I'd look at the 2848, 21xx is unmanged. They don't (currently) support
jumbo frames until the new firmware ships. the 41xx chassis will never
support jumbo's and it's really any aging platform at this point, the
switch fabric on the 28xx has more than 3x the capacity of the fabric in
the 41xxx chassis.