[Beowulf] Newbie question.

Glen Gardner Glen.Gardner at verizon.net
Thu Oct 28 18:37:17 PDT 2004

$25K will build a nice cluster.

I'd be tempted to go with something in small cube cases with on-board
gigabit .

P4 is good, Xeon is very good, as is Opteron. Mac is an option , but
costs a lot more.

Depending on how you go about it, $25K ought to be enough money to build
a really nice 16 node cluster
and maybe you can throw in 4-5 cheap machines to use as PVFS I/O servers.

It all depends on how much you want to buy pre-assembled and how much
you are willing to build yourself.