[Beowulf] RedHat Satellite Server as a cluster management tool.

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Oct 14 12:14:51 PDT 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Michael T. Halligan wrote:

> Robert,
>
> So have you actually used the satellite server? My biggest problem with
> using RHN has been the strong lack of deployments it's had.. A lot of

We looked at it pretty seriously at Duke -- RH is a short walk away,
we've had a long and productive relationship with them, and they were
offering us a "deal" on their RHN supported product.

The problem (and the likely reason for the strong lack of deployment) is
the cost scaling and minimum buy-in.  Frankly, if they gave it away free
the server requirements are kind of crazy, given the number of machines
we run on campus (and the fact that we manage it now, quite
successfully, on a shoestring and a mix/choice of Centos and FC2).

I think that RHN's major advantage to consumers is topdown network
management in corporate environments where the costs of this sort of
management tool are swallowed in the greater TCO issues of running a
major data center (and where local sysadmin competence is likely to be
"red hat certified systems engineers" who've gone through their training
and are roughly as deep-roots hapless as their MCSE counterparts tend to
be).  That is, they know how to use RH's GUI tools, but they really
don't UNDERSTAND that much about the systems they manage.

For a corporation who just wants it to work and considers spending $100K
on this and that so it works with the human resources they have
available to be petty cash, that's fine.  In the University/Research
world, resources tend to be tight, expertise levels are relatively high,
and there is even opportunity cost labor in the expert labor pools that
can be diverted to learning how to do something really cheaply AND
really well.

That's why you have Debian clusters, ROCKS clusters, RH/FC/Centos
clusters, SuSE clusters, Mandrake clusters, Warewulf clusters,
Clustermatic clusters -- all largely "homebrew" at the administrative
level (although the cluster-specific projects can get pretty fancy
wrapping up the brew;-) -- that avoid using a) anything that you have to
pay for if possible; b) anything that you have to pay a LOT for period;
c) anything that doesn't scale.  Yum requires more investment of effort
at the beginning to learn it, as it is a real, command line sysadmin
tool and yes, you'll need to read the documentation (some of which I
wrote:-), work with it, play with it, figure out how to make it jump
through hoops, and ultimately realize that it is REALLY powerful.
Designed by sysadmins, for sysadmins.  Designed and maintained by people
who use it every day in large scale deployments in resource starved
institutions.  That sort of thing.

Like all GUI tools vs command line tools, there is the usual "learn to
use it in a day, pay for using it forever" that plagues the user of any
windowing interface that actually has to manipulate large numbers of
files and complex relationships (GUIs are all about simplicity, but not
everything is "simple").

So Duke has at least for the moment tabled the RHN issue until there is
a clear and burning need for it that justifies the cost, including the
cost of diverting our human resources AWAY from using a tool that
manifestly scales better once it is mastered.

> people just naturally assume redhat is bad (hell, I even do. I use debian
> for all of my personal and corporate servers).. But very few who
> automatically take that stance have actually worked with the products
> enough to give emperical evidence as to why.

I love RH.  I used to pay them money for their OS distro every major
release voluntarily, until they went hypercommercial.  Now I use FC2 and
may migrate even further away.

RH's pricing model is purely corporate.  I just don't think they've
grokked either the university or the personal or the HPC cluster market,
or maybe they have and just don't care.

   rgb

> It took a while to gather enthusiasm enough to evaluate it, and a couple
> of months of solid testing before I could recommend it.  I've built about
> 1/2 dozen similar deployment/management tools at this point, each one
> built for a customer (hence the reason building 6 instead of just
> improving upon the same one).
>
> Imaging is one thing, and yeah kickstart is easy, no objections to that..
> RHN just makes it a lot easier to deal with kickstart. It also gives a
> rather useful, but more enterprise focused management system to allow you
> to manage (software|config) channels, server groups, and a good method to
> deal with groups with unions & intersections.  I'm finding it especially
> nice at one site at which 1/2 of their servers are used for testing and
> 1/2 for their production environment.  Pushing new patches, scripts,
> commands, files to select sets of systems requires very little effort.
>
> RedHat's configuration management system is actually really nice. They've
> put a simple  (but extensible) macro system into it, which allows you to
> keep one configuration file for all of the servers in a given class, when
> only a few things change, and having system-specific variables be parsed
> out when servers pull configs from the gold server.. Sure, you can do this
> with cfengine or pikt, but uploading a config file to a webform is a lot
> simpler than setting up cfengine/pikt and implementing it (I know this
> from a lot of experience.
>
> One of the lackings of using a yum/pxe/kickstart environment (of which I'm
> rather familiar with, currently  managing 6 customers with a similar
> environment) is that there's no "already there" configuration/versioning
> management system.  That was one of the key points of redhat, the fact
> that I can do at-will repurposing/reprovisioning (like turning a 100
> server 30/70 app db server/app server environment into a 70/30 app/db
> server environment in 5 minutes without kickstarting and zero manual
> interaction)..

Sure, I agree.  Although it needn't take THAT long to do with yum and
the cluster shell of your choice.  Versioning is currently done fairly
casually, or outside yum itself.  There is no point and click package
selector (although any editor works just fine).  However, you can buy an
awful lot of FTE minutes for hundreds of dollars a seat plus thousands
for servers, and clusters typically DON'T change often, or much, once
their prototypes are completed and debugged.

> In the end, it's probably just an apples/oranges comparison.. in a science
> lab/school cluster environment, it's probably more a more valuable place
> to use a more manual process because grad students are cheap, and interns
> are free.. :) In a corporate world, the $28k i'd spend for a 100 server
> environment to save a sysadmin's worth of time, pays for itself 10 fold in
> terms of environment consistency..

For servers, especially heterogenous servers, it might be worth it.  If
by "servers" you mean identical nodes (server or otherwise) I'd say this
is a waste of money.  In HPC it is the latter.  In a lot of corporate
environments, it is a mix of mostly the latter and some of the former.
But I totally agree, the tool is designed for that kind of environment
-- structurally complex and deep pocketed.

> Either way, I'm not trying to evangelize, just relate my own experiences,
> and try to find the best solution for a given problem. What tools out
> there are good for this type of a situation, then? Thanks for the refs to
> werewulf, I'm checking it out now.

No problem.  I just am a cost-benefit fanatic.  You have to work to
convince me that spending order of 20% of the nodes you might be able to
buy in a compute cluster on RHN will get more work done per total dollar
invested, in most HPC cluster environments, compared to any of a number
of GPL free alternatives (many of which have further benefits to their
use anyway).

   rgb

Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu