[Beowulf] Register article on Opteron - disagree

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Mon Nov 22 07:17:55 PST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 00:57, Joe Landman wrote:
>  If a Nocona follow-on follows the design of the Opteron (IOMMU
> and HT, among other things), then things could get quite interesting.

I can't imagine why Intel would drop a feature (HT) to match Opteron.
At this point I believe the HT feature is pretty cheap for them to
implement.  However, it would be interesting if Intel added IOMMU.
Also, Intel has some interesting chipset changes planned that are
supposed to help some bottlenecks there.  At this point I think Intel is
still playing catchup as far as technology goes, however in a few years
things should really be interesting.