[Beowulf] High Performance for Large Database

Laurence Liew laurenceliew at yahoo.com.sg
Tue Nov 16 01:01:13 PST 2004

Hi,

 From what I understand it has to do with "locking" on the SAN devices
by the GFS drivers.

Yes.. you are right.. most implementations will have separate IO and
compute nodes... in fact that is the recommended way.... what I had
meant in my earlier statement was that "I prefer data to be distributed
amongst nodes - IO nodes - rather than have them centralised in a single
SAN backend.

GFS + NFS is painful and slow as you have experienced it... hopefully
RHEL V4 will bring about better performance and new features to address
HPC by GFS (unlikely but just hoping).

Laurence