[Beowulf] New person to building a beowulf cluster

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Fri Nov 12 11:01:53 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 18:09, Andrew wrote:
> Recently took on a project doing a Beowulf cluster and I have
> configured the files necessary to run MPICH-1.2.6 to run on 3
> computers using Red Hat 7.2(following directions). I am running into a
> problem where I can not run it on my two slave nodes(yet I can run it
> on my master node) it will pause for a while and then says p4_error:
> Could not get host by name for host node0.home.net I think it might
> have something to do with the way I configured my hosts file in which
> the first line is the node name, second line is local host, and third
> is my master node (node0).  Anyone have any other suggestions or
> comments as to what I should check?

Make sure all the hostnames resolve on all of the hosts.  For such a
small cluster, this will most likely mean making sure each host has an
entry in the /etc/hosts file of each host.

Also, is there a reason you're still running Red Hat 7.2?  Red Hat is no
longer putting out updates for it, which means there are probably quite
a number of security vulnerabilities in it.  Since the entire UNC system
has a RHEL site-license, I'd recommend upgrading to RHEL3.