[Beowulf] Redmond is at it, again

Douglas Eadline, Cluster World Magazine deadline at linux-mag.com
Wed May 26 08:45:14 PDT 2004

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Robert G. Brown wrote:

--snip--

> So the interesting question is "where's the money" in this move.  The
> HPC market hasn't proven to be exactly a get-rich-quick proposition for
> any of the various groups that have prospected in it.

Good question. I believe the move by Microsoft has two logical goals:

1. Enter markets where the return will be good (which is why
   the article points to financial and cycle scavenging
   markets -- these markets make sense for them)

2. Help mitigate "Linux Creep". I recall a customer who wanted to call
   their cluster kudzu (a non-indigenous plant brought from Asia to the southern
   US that grows over everything.)

   It is great name because Linux is like kudzu. In some cases , it is
   growing all over the data center. It came in the "HPC back door".

   The message that "Gee Linux helps us find oil, build airplanes,
   search the genome", adds quite a bit of credibility to the whole
   Linux thing.

I think we just got legit.

Doug

Editor-in-chief                   ClusterWorld Magazine
Desk: 610.865.6061
Cell: 610.390.7765         Redefining High Performance Computing
Fax:  610.865.6618                www.clusterworld.com