[Beowulf] Re: SGE + policy

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri May 28 11:44:10 PDT 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Orion Poplawski wrote:

> Robert G. Brown wrote:
> >
> > This probably doesn't worry them, because in one sense anybody who uses
> > matlab for doing "serious" computations probably needs therapy, and
> > clusters are often build for doing serious computations.  However, this
> > particular cluster is being built as much to support many students doing
> > less serious computations as it is to support work that really should
> > probably be done in c.* or f.*, and in a lot of cases the real expense
> > is teaching people with little or no real programming experience how to
> > convert from a garbage-tolerant interactive environment to a compiled
> > language.
> >

> You can buy a matlab compiler from mathworks.  Perhaps this would work
> better.  There is also some kind of run-time server as well that turns
> the code into standalone programs.  I've never used either, but we may
> soon.  Experiences with either would be appreciated.

This would be fine if it produces real standalone programs that are
portable and can be run anywhere.  If the compiler just creates a binary
module that can only run on a node with a license, it is less
desireable although it still might be advantageous if they run faster
that way.  We'll look into this as well, thanks,

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu