[Beowulf] Opteron & G03 - official (was Re: CCL:Question regarding Mac G5 performance)

Konstantin Kudin konstantin_kudin at yahoo.com
Tue May 25 05:38:47 PDT 2004

--- Joe Landman <landman at scalableinformatics.com> wrote:

> >>Your mileage will vary of course, but I expect with Gaussian and
> >>others that
> >>overflow memory, the overall system design will be as important (if
> >>not more so)
> >>to the overall performance than the CPU architecture, unless you
> can
> >>somehow
> >>isolate the computation to never spill to disk.
> >>

> > With G03, some types of jobs will mostly be compute bound, and
> others
> >will be mostly I/O bound. This is reasonably trivial to predict
> >beforehand. I've tested jobs which were compute bound because
> testing
> >the other side of the equation is more difficult due to more
> factors.
> >
> > For I/O bound jobs a box with loads of RAM and fast sequential I/O
> is
> >the best. Something like dual-quad Opteron with 16-32Gb of RAM and
> 2-4
> >ATA disks with RAID0 (striping) is a good choice these days.
> >

> :)  I might suggest the 3ware folks for their controllers.   Just
> pick
> your file systems and stripe width carefully.

 Enough idle chat :-) The G03.C1 with Opteron support seems to be
finally out, so it is possible to just run it and find out how it
performs in 64-bits vs 32:

http://www.gaussian.com/g_tech/g03_rel.htm
New Hardware Support in Rev. C.01
Opteron, with 64-bit integers and pointers; Linda is available for this
system

 Konstantin