[Beowulf] Vector processing on AMD 64

Arthur H. Edwards edwardsa at plk.af.mil
Thu May 13 12:03:41 PDT 2004

AMD has advertised that their 64 bit architectures have vector
registers. This was initially very exciting because eigensolvers are not
easily paralllized for medium-sized problems, but vectorize very well.
I say this based on experience with the CRAY-YMP where we saw speed-ups
ofrr 100 when we used a verctorized eigensolver. The Y-MP had, I think
128 vector registers, which could easily account for the 100 speed up.
Does anyone know

1. How many vector registers each of the AMD 64 bit CPU's has
2. Is there a source for the old CRAY vector library?

Art Edwards
--
Art Edwards
Senior Research Physicist