[Beowulf] raw ethernet

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Tue Jul 20 09:49:14 PDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 050675 at student.unife.it wrote:

> Hi all, I'm making some studies (for my degree) about raw ethernet on a P4
> pentium based cluster. Is someone interested in this? If yes I'll be happy
> to share opinions and ideas (I'm not an expert, only a student BTW if you
> want i'm here).

Do you mean using raw ethernet packets on a flat bridged network to do
point to point IPCs in a cluster application?  No TCP/IP?

Sounds like a lovely project.  Why don't you report to the list once a
month or so.  Just remember, while you can likely skip the IP part
(which is primarily associated with name resolution and routing) and can
maybe skip the port part (dedicated function packets) you'll still have
the rest of TCP to recreate -- reliable packet transmission and
sequencing and checksumming.  Pretty ambitious, if you're planning to
write the whole communications stack yourself (but yes, a great learning
project).

   rgb