[Beowulf] Network benchmark - MPI

Jonathan Michael Nowacki jnowacki at indiana.edu
Fri Jul 2 12:59:26 PDT 2004

Tony,

I'm actually out at the MBL for a summer internship and I just got word
that they have experienced the 4 node thing as well.  Thought you should
know.

More detailed info on our clusters @
http://jbpc.mbl.edu/computing/hardware.html

The nodes only have 512MB memory and are going through about 2 gigs of
swap, but we are upgrading them.  My boss says MrBayes is probably limited
by the default 4 Markov chains, and thats why their is no significant
gains after 4 nodes.  I wonder if quad processor nodes would speed it up,
or if the actually speed of each processor is the only thing that would
matter.

   Jon