[Beowulf] KVM to a compute node - ssh

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Jul 2 09:43:40 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Michael Will wrote:

> On Friday 02 July 2004 03:13 am, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>
> > Well you see, the IBM PC didn't have F11 and F12.  Stopped at F10.  The
> > extra two keys weren't added until the AT came along.  Somewhere in
> > there they moved the Ctrl shift from its perfectly happy VT100 location
> > (where caps lock is now) to the carpal-tunnel inducing current
> > locations, and added the Alt shift.  Later still a silly key with this
> > weird flag thingie on it was added.
>
> It's not too late to reverse the process. Let's remap the caps-lock and the
> control key ;-) And here is how:
>
> http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?RemapCapsLock

I tried this for years; it just doesn't work in the long run.  You see,
I have to work on lots of systems, not just ones where I can install
custom keymaps, and my fingers only want to do one thing automatically.
I'm having trouble with the keyboard I'm using right now as it is -- it
is a laptop keyboard with Ctrl squished between Fn and
Win-whatever-the-hell-it-does and keep missing.

The only thing that might have worked would have been for IBM's new
keyboard to have been resoundingly rejected in the marketplace, where it
really counted.  For a while (a long while) the old style keyboard held
on, but eventually IBM's ability to simply arbitrarily set a standard
overwhelmed the resistance.

   rgb

> Michael

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu