[Beowulf] KVM to a compute node - ssh

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Jul 2 03:13:52 PDT 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Tim Small wrote:

> I eventually found it in some HP/Compaq documentation, after some
> banging of my head against the wall when using a Proliant with HP's
> serial BIOS - their version doesn't seem to  support function keys at
> all, but does support the Esc-blah alternatives.  Quite why none of them
> seem support F11/F12 is just one of those BIOS writers' mysteries, I
> suppose ;o).

Well you see, the IBM PC didn't have F11 and F12.  Stopped at F10.  The
extra two keys weren't added until the AT came along.  Somewhere in
there they moved the Ctrl shift from its perfectly happy VT100 location
(where caps lock is now) to the carpal-tunnel inducing current
locations, and added the Alt shift.  Later still a silly key with this
weird flag thingie on it was added.

You should consider yourself fortunate that any of your software
supports Alt, let alone F11/F12.  NOBODY seems to use the flag thingie
key including the vendor that seems to have influenced its placement
as a sort of statement of conquest, just as nobody uses caps lock when
typing any more...

Everyone, BIOS writers in particular, knows that the IBM PC was the peak
of computer development and that it has (overall) been downhill from
there...;-)

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu