[Beowulf] quick note on Redhat NFS issues with NAS units

Jan-Frode Myklebust Jan-Frode.Myklebust at bccs.uib.no
Wed Dec 29 03:10:02 PST 2004

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 03:59:18PM -0500, Joe Landman wrote:
> Folks:
>
>  Been looking into why a Redhat EL3 WS x86_64 client hangs when
> accessing a NAS based upon SuSE 9x.

Great, thanks for this note!

I've been struggeling quite a bit myself with Rocks-3.3 on opteron
(IBM e326), with AIX as file-server. I still don't quite understand
exactly what caused my hangs, but after reverting back to udp, and
default mount options plus increasing the number of lock-daemons on
the AIX-server, I now have a stable NFS. Still struggeling a bit with
the NFS performance..

Should maybe test if bcm lets me go back to nfs over tcp.

> ps: if there are some Redhat people reading the list, you know, we would
> like some modern kernels, and not lots of backported stuff, not to
> mention xfs, and other goodies ... (yeah, I know, wait till EL4, ...)

Maybe someone should do a kernel-2.6 roll for Rocks...

  -jf