[Beowulf] Re: Beowulf Digest, Vol 10, Issue 16

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Dec 13 19:02:00 PST 2004

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Mark Hahn wrote:

> > It's hard to tell what the 754 boards support since many say they
> > will _accept_ ECC memory but they don't say that they can actually
> > _use_ it.
>
> all K8's support ECC - AMD definitely does not disable ECC on some chips.
> I just checked the s754 functional spec, and it certainly supports ECC.
>
> it's conceivable that MB vendors are such twits that they'd fail to
> detect ECC dimms and enable ECC in the bios.  it's even possible they'd
> be such idiots as to fail to connect memcheck pins to the dimm slots.

FWIW, I now am installing my ASUS K8NE, and it caims in its user guide
to support unbuffered ECC or non-ECC SDRAM (up to PC3200).

In a wee short bit I'll probably have some stream results.  I'm flashing
an upgrade from RH9 to i386 FC2 as I sit here.  However, it will take me
a few days and a reinstall to get to x64 binaries as I've got to rsync
FC x86_64 from Duke over a DSL connection, so whatever I post will be
just play.

I didn't GET ECC, BTW, because this is a home cluster box and won't be
used (I expect) for anything more than testing, benchmarks, games, and
rare production runs.

   rgb