[Beowulf] Cluster reviews

Dan Kidger daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
Thu Dec 2 01:55:10 PST 2004

Carlos,

> Hi,  i saw your e-mail address on a beowulf webpage.  Im trying to build a
> cluster system, but there´s a lot of questions and i was wondering if you
> can help me with some information about clustering on linux suse 9.0. I
> know that it uses a file system called Lustre, but i haven´t found how to
> configurate that file.  Can you give me some links or if you know how to do
> it, please help me, Thanks a lot.

Lustre is a distributed parallel file system. It is not a part of suse9.0 and
indeed it can be used under a wide variety of Linux distributions. It just
needs a few kernel patches and a small rpm of binaries.
It was developed by Cluster file systems inc. from money from the US
Government. Its current status is that you can download it for free, but
naturally need to pay if you want support.

Lustre has its own website, epinomously titled www.lustre.org
This links you to
   https://wiki.clusterfs.com/lustre/FrontPage
and thence
  https://wiki.clusterfs.com/lustre/LustreHowto
which is a must first read.

Feel free to ask more questions once you have read this  ( probably best
though to use your own email account rather than hotmail. Folk will likely be
more helpfull :-) )

Remember Lustre has its own mailing lists which may be more appropriate than
the beowulf list - however I have noticed Lustre is increasingly becoming the
parallel filesystem of choice for linux clusters.

Hope this helps,
Daniel.

Dr. Dan Kidger, Quadrics Ltd.      daniel.kidger at quadrics.com
One Bridewell St., Bristol, BS1 2AA, UK         0117 915 5505