[Beowulf] Supplier for 8-way Opteron Systems?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pathscale.com
Mon Aug 23 11:53:15 PDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 06:35:55PM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:

> I pointed out that 4-ways are fairly attractive, even though they're
> a lot more than twice the cost of dual systems.  his response was
> that AMD wants and needs the much higher margins that have
> traditionally applied to higher-end SMP.

Note that the price of the CPU is only one piece of the pie -- 4-way
boards are big, 8-way boards come in multiple pieces, and both kinds
ship in much lower volumes than 2-way boards, while those pesky
customers want them to be reliable.

I've seen a lot of AMD customers pointing the finger only at AMD, and
I think that's wrong-headed.

-- greg