[Beowulf] What now?

Glen Gardner Glen.Gardner at verizon.net
Wed Aug 18 16:25:25 PDT 2004

My imaging software is very simple and embarassingly parallel.  It is
mostly of the type one would use on landsat imagery.
I have convolution filters , histograms, difference filters, constrast
range enhancement filters, and still need to work out my image
resampling code and  a cannny filter.  I also plan to write a JPG filter
to remove the annoying 8X8 pixilization inherent in JPG. This is an
ongoing thing. No real schedule, no particluar motivation, other than
fun.  I just kind of do it as I feel the need. There were two instances
where I wanted to take a better look at some images from one of the Mars
Rovers.  In these two cases , I used my filters in combination with
shell scripts to enhance these images to better see the details I was
interested in. Other than serving as a testbed, this is where the mini
cluster has earned it's keep.  It did such a good job of it that I was a
bit surprised when I saw the results, and spent the rest of the night
fiddling with the filters out of sheer fascination.

 One of the things I studied in college was remote sensing, so I had
written a bit of software. I wanted a simple project to get myself
started in parallel programming, so I rewrote my old code in C, using
MPI, in a very coarse-grained fashion.My programs split the processing
of the data set between the cpu's, then reassembles the separately
processed sections after filtering.  I got a good speedup, and delighted
myself in being able to chew through large data sets much faster than I
can with my "old" single cpu P4 machine.

Not only did I get a speedup, but writing my own parallel code taught me
that parallel programming is not as scarey and difficult as it may seem
on the surface. Once you get used to the idea of it, doing things in
parallel is not more difficult conceptually than "ordinary" programming.
 There are pitfalls, and oddities, but you pick up on them really fast.
Parallel programming is really kind of neat.

Glen