[Beowulf] What now?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Aug 18 06:35:53 PDT 2004

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Jack C wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm sorry to ask a question like this, but I'm seriously stuck. I'ver
> installed MPI just because the idea of clustering excites me. But...
> what now? What do all of you "veteran" Beowulf people do with yours? I
> mean, are there GPL/etc packages, or code that anyone knows of? Mabye
> primes, anything. (I tried to write some small things, but it's going to
> take me many more months before I can effectivly design an efficient
> program to utilize MPI)

Google on the web for mpi example programs.  There are usually some in
an "examples" directory in most mpi installations as well.

There are occasional columns on MPI (with example programs) by e.g.
Forrest Hoffman in Linux Magazine; some of these make their way into
their online archives (I've found them there in the past).  Ditto Jeff
Squyres with his excellent "MPI Mechanic" column in Cluster World
Magazine, although I think CWM still lacks a web archive of old
articles.  Still, Jeff could probably send you some example code from
old articles along with the column text if you asked nicely.  Naturally,
you should probably go ahead and subscribe to either or both of these
mags to get a more regular dose of education and advice and source
code...;-)

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu