[Beowulf] PVM does not spawn to other nodes

C.L. Lai [ALAN] clai33 at uwo.ca
Mon Aug 2 15:15:00 PDT 2004

PVM 3.4.4  on Linux/x86

My PVM starts up fine (it uses ssh), hosts can be successfully added.
However, when I run the provided test jobs

hello/hello_other
hitc/hitc_slave
master1/slave1

They all return errors, and the errors indicate PVM fails to spawn the
process

hello:
i'm t4000b
can't start hello_other

master1:
Spawning 9 worker tasks ...
 Trouble spawning slaves. Aborting. Error codes are:
TID 0 -7
TID 1 -7
TID 2 -7
TID 3 -7
TID 4 -7
TID 5 -7
TID 6 -7
TID 7 -7
TID 8 -7

hitc:
 3 hosts detected in configuration
 Error in spawn. info= 0
 tid 0 -7
 tid 1 -7
 tid 2 -7
libpvm [t4000e]: pvm_mcast(): Bad parameter

Any idea of what went wrong?

Another thing, I dont know if it's relevent.
I am using the PVM source from FC2/AMD64 RPM, which has some AMD64
definitions. But on x86, there should be no difference.

Thanks,
Alan.