rsh slow shutdown

William Gropp gropp at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 17 06:29:58 PST 2003

At 12:47 PM 3/15/2003 -0600, rick bradshaw wrote:
>Egan,
>         yes I am aware of using ssh and mpd instead but what I would
>like is to findout why it says that it is not configured properly.

The text was written in response to a broken implementation of rsh that
used an int to represent an fd_set.  Once you got to file descriptor 32,
life was over.

>know that the amount of ports limit it but that still doesn't explain
>why I can't get it even close to the max?

The timeout can be changed, but the real solution would be to fix the
rundown to take less time.  We haven't looked at the reasons for the slow
rundown; any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.  Of course, our preferred
solution is to use the non-rsh process managers which avoid all of these
problems.

Bill