Google's cluster

Brian D. Ropers-Huilman bropers at lsu.edu
Sat Mar 15 20:06:08 PST 2003

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Ken Chase wrote:

> As for academic clusters, I expect that more than most grant money isnt handed
> out around the world just to get onto the top 500 cluster list, but in fact,
> to get some real work done.

While I have already said it before, it still pains me to say it again. Our
cluster, currently at #17 on the Top 500 and the 3rd fastest (benchmarked)
Linux cluster (we were #11 and the #1 Linux cluster until the list was
officially published), was purchased soley to obtain a spot in the top 10 on
the Top 500 list. Period. The science that would be run on the cluster was
secondary. The governor of the state made it clear that the money he was
granting needed to "show something." A spot in the Top 10 was the goal.

--
Brian D. Ropers-Huilman                        (225) 578-0461 (V)
Systems Administrator                 AIX      (225) 578-6400 (F)
Office of Computing Services       GNU Linux   brian at ropers-huilman.net
High Performance Computing            .^.      http://www.ropers-huilman.net/
Fred Frey Building, Rm. 201, E-1Q     /V\                          \o/
Louisiana State University           (/ \)           --  __o   /    |
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-1900           (   )          --- `\<,  /    `\\,