rsh slow shutdown

Egan Ford egan at
Fri Mar 14 11:21:38 PST 2003

rsh uses privileged ports (512-1023).  So, there is a limited number of
them.  Other processes use the privileged ports reducing the total number
available.  rsh may also use 2 ports (one for stderr and one for stdout so
I've been told, but I have not seen it), and you'll also need one/processor,
not just one/node.

I recommend using ssh with non-privileged ports, then you can startup any
size job < 65536-1024 processors.

Other solutions exist using MPD and scalable rsh implementations (e.g.

Turn around and ask J.P., he knows about this.