Any news on Infiniband ?

Josip Loncaric josip at
Tue Mar 11 12:10:54 PST 2003

Patrick Geoffray wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 00:46, Anthony Skjellum wrote:
>>We had good luck with MPI/Pro over VI
> [...]
> The good part of Giganet was, IMHO, the packet engine built on top of a
> ATM chip, with a very good medium message pipeline. [...]
> But let me remind you the current state
> of VI: dead in the water.

Sadly, Giganet cLAN is no longer supported on Linux clusters, but it worked
well with 2.2 kernels and MPI/Pro using interrupt driven receive.  We could
productively bring more nodes into the calculation, and the overall code
performance often doubled.

Oh well, life moves on.

P.S.  Dell performance comparisons of NAS Parallel Benchmarks using MPICH (and
friends) over Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, Giganet, and Myrinet can be
found at:

This is similar to my own tests of Fast Ethernet vs. Giganet cLAN (w/various
MPI libraries) reported at

Dr. Josip Loncaric, Research Fellow              mailto:josip at
National Institute of Aerospace
144 Research Drive                       mailto:j.loncaric at
Hampton, VA 23666, USA         Tel. +1-757-766-1395  Fax +1-757-766-1401