Lahey Licensing of Fortran compiler for Linux - in detail ;-)

John Burton j.c.burton at gats-inc.com
Tue Jan 21 08:35:39 PST 2003

Simon Hogg wrote:
> At 11:06 21/01/03 -0500, John Burton wrote:
>

> My understanding, from the comments indirectly posted from Lahey "The
> license allows
> two users to simultaneously develop programs for use on clusters of up
> to 64
> CPUs in size.  The code that is developed can be distributed to an
> UNLIMITED
> number of clusters ranging in size from 5 to 64 CPUs.  The clusters running
> the executable code do not need a Lahey compiler, nor do they pay any fees
> to Lahey."

"...UNLIMITED number of clusters ranging in size from 5 to 64 CPUS..."

I devlop on a 32 CPU "development" cluster. I want to run the code on a
256 CPU "production" cluster... Problem with Lahey, not a problem with
the others. I'm restricted by their license.

I have a 48 CPU cluster where I'm using a Lahey compiler. Due to the
data throughput requirements I need another 48 CPUs.... Problem with
Lahey, not a problem with others. Similar to Microsoft Windows XP - I
add stuff to my computer I have to revise my license...

Hopefully I'm wrong about their restrictive license...

John