now many nodes can a lan support?

Mike Eggleston mikee at mikee.ath.cx
Fri Jan 10 09:15:03 PST 2003

My guess is this question has been asked before, but I've not been
able to find it in the archive file. The question is given a typical
10Mb/s lan how many nodes can a cluster support? Assume the cluster
has its own switch, the head and nodes are connected in a star with
the switch, the cluster lan is isolated from all other non-cluster
network traffic, the only way to reach a node is through the head,
ignore extra traffic from TCP handshakes and such, and the the
data packet for a work unit is 1KB with a 100B results packet back
to the head.

How do I calculate this?

Mike