first beofwul

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu Jan 2 15:10:46 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 21:25, Mat Harris wrote:

> BTW i am going to set up a 4 node (3+1 head) cluster using RedHat
> Server 2.1 on some old machines at work (PII-450, 256Mb, 10Gb (master:
> PIII-950, 512Mb, 30Gb)), are there any pointers you can give a
first-timer
> with relatvely no C knowledge.
Hardware sounds fine to me!
But why specifically Redhat Advanced Server? That is really aimed at
corporates, who want a stable distro with paid for support.
I would venture to say that you would be better using an up to date
'ordinary' Redhat distribution for this.
Choice of 7.3 and 8.0 left up to the choir :-)

Also are you aware that Mandrake have a cluster-specific distribution?
Me, I've never tried it (same goes for RH Advanced!)
but it might be fun...

Totally off topic, in relevance to the original Beowulf it would be
JRR Tolkien's eleventy-first birthday tomorrow. Seemingly Tolkien nuts
all over the world will gather to celebrate.
Relevance is that his translation of Beowulf is due to be published
soon. Don't know if it has any tips for cluster builders tho'....