Creating user accounts....

Brian D. Ropers-Huilman bropers at lsu.edu
Thu Feb 13 19:05:25 PST 2003

My understanding is that NIS can be very network intensive and there are
limits to the sizes of the maps unless you go to NIS+. Anytime a permission
needs to be check, like when a user is accessing a file, it is an NIS call to
see what UID the user has. This seems a little ridiculous to me, but that is
what I recall from discussions on this list in the past (you could search the
archives--this has been discussed at length before).

Also, my understanding is that with plain NIS the largest map you can have is
1024 characters. If you have a lot of graduate students in a single group, you
can quickly reach this limit. NIS+ overcomes this but I don't know if it has a
Linux port or not.

Finally, yes, you would do well to wrap your useradd command with a script
that added the user and then pushed out all relevant files (/etc/passwd,
/etc/shadow, /etc/group, etc.).

--
Brian D. Ropers-Huilman                        (225) 578-0461 (V)
Systems Administrator                 AIX      (225) 578-6400 (F)
Office of Computing Services       GNU Linux   brian at ropers-huilman.net
High Performance Computing            .^.      http://www.ropers-huilman.net/
Fred Frey Building, Rm. 201, E-1Q     /V\                          \o/
Louisiana State University           (/ \)           --  __o   /    |
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-1900           (   )          --- `\<,  /    `\\,